This is now MY favorite rice dish to make. I happened upon it as I was looking to add more protein for the day. I opened the cabinet of food in the motorhome and spied the jar of cashews (raw, unsalted). I usually add these to the trail mix I make for the road but had some leftover.
The raw, unsalted cashews do not take long to cook in a dish so there was no need to soak them beforehand. All the other ingredients I had with me in the motorhome as we pretty much emptied our home cupboards as we planned to be away for 3 months.
Here is a list of what you will need – remember some of the best meals are improvised with what you have in your kitchen! I usually shred the carrots as they cook easier and sometimes cutting them thin is tedious. AGAIN there are no measurements as its all done to taste – you can to it – you will get your own taste groove on.
- Cashews (raw, unsalted)
- The oils (coconut and sesame) ***If vegan use vegetable broth
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Rice ( I alternate between Basmati and Long Grain depending on what I have and which taste I want)
- Onion – largely diced
- Garlic – several cloves chunked
- Carrots – shredded
- Sweeties ( small red, orange and yellow peppers) – some cut in rings and others diced
- Quinoa – cooked
- Sea Salt
- Coarse Ground Peppercorns
- Spices – Ginger, Turmeric, Crushed Red Pepper
- Those are my staples and then I add what else I have or have a taste for such as broccoli, portobello – just be creative.
I get the cast iron skillet heated while I get the rice going.
Melt the coconut oil in the heated skillet and then add the vegetables that take the longest to cook. After a few minutes add the rest of the vegetables, sesame oil, balsamic vinaigrette and seasonings. I sauté just until the vegetables start to soften . I then add the rice, stir and serve.